WHO WE ARE AND WHAT WE DO
The award-winning Grey Heron Media team makes great audio that sounds different because we make it differently. Collaboration is the heartbeat of everything we do - working as a creative team, with other artists and producers across disciplines, and with the communities in which we work.
From our mountain village base in Ireland, we work with a range of broadcasters across the world from national broadcasters such as the BBC and RTE to great local stations, such as Limerick's Live95FM and inclusive community radio stations across Ireland. We also created stunning bespoke podcasts with BBC Studios, Creative Ireland and more
Diarmuid McIntyre, the Creative Director of Grey Heron also founded HearSay - an international festival celebrating and inspiring creative audio from around the world that attracted participants from 33 countries in 2019.
Award Winning Radio
The team at Grey Heron Media have picked up numerous awards for their work.
- 2019 Nominee Prix Marulic "Through the Canvas" (RTE Lyric FM)
- 2019 New York Radio Festival Silver Trophy "Through the Canvas" (RTE Lyric FM)
- 2018 Irish Pavilion Venice Biennale Sound Design & Composition
- 2017 Gold New York Radio Festival - "Ireland: As it Lives and Breathes"
- 2016 Prix Europa Nominee - Limerick in Tune (Live95FM )
- 2015 New York Radio Festival Gold Trophy - Limerick 2014 (Live95FM/RTE Lyric FM)
- 2015 New York Festival Bronze Trophy - "They Had No Choice" - The Irish Horse At War (RTE Radio 1)
- 2015 New York Festival Finalist 2015 - Con Carey and The Twelve Apostles (RTE Radio 1 collaboration)
- 2015 PPI Radio Awards - Gold - Con Carey and The Twelve Apostles (RTE Radio 1 collaboration)
- 2013 New York Festival Gold Trophy - Take No More (RTE Radio 1)
- 2013 PPI Radio Awards Gold 2013 - Take No More (RTE Radio 1)
- 2013 Association of International Broadcasters Best Documentary Take No More (RTE Radio 1)
Diarmuid McIntyre (Founder. Creative Director)
Diarmuid McIntyre founded Grey Heron Media in 2007. But he's been involved in audio for much longer than that. Ask him to tell you about the time he was involved in running a station from the front window of a sweet shop in Kilfinane.
Diarmuid is also the Festival Director of the HearSay International Audio Festival which takes over the mountain village of Kilfinane, with the help of the world’s finest audio-makers, to celebrate and inspire Creative Audio.
Daniel Clancy (Photography. Sound Engineering. Audio Mastering)
Daniel joined Grey Heron Media in 2017 after immersing himself in the worlds of field recording and sound enginneer. He was diverted into the world of audio production after his uncle featured in a Grey Heron story and he had to find out more about us. .
Veronica Santorum (Producer. Presenter. Artist)
An Ecologist and an Artist with a deep rooted passion for traditional crafts. Veronica gained a PhD in 2016 and brings her rich communication and production skills Veronica to our live events and storytelling.
Mary McDonnell (Senior Producer. Editor)
Mary Mc Donnell has worked with Grey Heron Media since 2011. But she's been making radio since the age of six, sitting on a high stool at the kitchen counter with her tape recorder, doing 'requests'.
For Mary, the idea of being able to parcel up stories, thoughts and sounds onto a tape, in the hope that somebody else will hear them - the magic of that has never gone away.
A Selection of our recent Programming Collaborators
Maria Byrne & Kevin Connolly
BBC Europe Correspondant & BBC Senior Europe Producer - Co-Presenter/Co-Producer: "No Body Recovered" (for BBC Stories, 2019)
Jennifer Forde & Sam Bungey
Creators "West Cork Podcast" Co-hosts "West Cork Podcast Live" (for Cork Opera House & LimeTree Theatre, 2019)
Reporter and Producer at "Reveal" Podcast - Reporter "Captain Boycott" (for Reveal, 2019)
Sunday Times Art Critic - Co-Presenter: "Through the Canvas" (For RTE Lyric FM, 2018)
Curator for Irish Pavilion Venice Biennale "Co-Curator "Free Market" (at Venice Biennale, 2018)
Radio Presenter & Producer - Presenter "The Kitchen Sessions" (for Clare FM, 2018)
Anna Scott-Brown & Adam Fowler
Directors of Overtone Productions - Presenter/Producer: "Conversations on a Bench" (for BBC Radio 4, 2018)
RTE Journalist & Writer - Presenter: "The Ties that Bind" (for RTE Radio 1, 2016)
Actor & Director - Lead "Motherland-Fatherland" (Live Event, 2016)
Founder of "The Truth" Audio Fiction Podcast - Producer "The Man in the Barn" (For Radiotopia/RTE Drama on One, 2016)
Dr Pat Wallace
Director of the National Museum of Ireland. - Co-Presenter: "Historic Limerick" (For Limerick's Live95, 2015)